Unable to SSH into Pi via Internet

If you need any help or would like to discuss our episodes please ask in here.
Lecky

Unable to SSH into Pi via Internet

Post by Lecky »

Hey all, I wondered if anyone could help me out remoty accessing my Pi400.

I’ve recently been following the videos in the series (they're great btw), but I’m struggling with getting to the raspberry pie via SSH over the Internet.

Apologies in advance if any of my terminology/understanding is wrong, I’m new to Pi's/Linux/SSH and I only have a basic high-level understanding of networking, basically an all-around n00b.

I wanted to configure the Pi as a internet facing web/application server, so I could host a website and try out some custom Discord bots. So, I've watched every pi video I can find on the Internet and Im now in the process of trying to get the Pi setup (ideally securely eventually).

I've got a domain name and it's NS is set to cloudflare. I (thought) I had setup a Crontab job to update Cloudflare with my dynamic IP (although I may have messed this up as I'm having to run a cloudflare script manually, every time I notice that its changed again).

Testing it yesterday, I could access the Nginx welcome page externally over Web so I know i can reach my internal network from extrnal, so I thought that maybe I’d be able to SSH straight into my domainname.com on port 22 and be able to talk to the pi but that doesn’t seem to work.

I can SSH onto the pi via another machine on the LAN (either via the local hostname, or the static '192' ip that I binded in the bband router config.. think) but can't seem to SSH from external networks.

I do have port forwarding configured on the router (80 & 443), but if I’m honest I don’t really know what that does, as removing them sees to make no difference accessing internally or externally (I thought removing them would but it doesn't).

It thought it might be permissions after the previous question in the forum, but I suspect it’s more something I'm getting wrong with the routing/addressing.

Any help that anyone could provide would be appreciated - let me know if I can supply any logs/info (but you may need to spell out the commands you need me to type..sorry).

Thanks in advance 👍