retired gramps "TRYING" to build first PC.

If you are new to the forums come and say hello.
rcline

retired gramps "TRYING" to build first PC.

Post by rcline »

Hello to all: My name is Randy. Now I'll get to the point. My PC that I am on right is my old "Beast". 17 years old and still has windows 7 Pro.
Has never given a lick of trouble. My knowledge of computers is as follows. 1. I know where the power button is. 2. I can check my Thunderbird mail.
3. Pay my bills and #4 is, I know how to search the net. Now I'm building myself a PC, (this is what happens when you are retired and bored) I bought the PI-4b, w/ touch screen. I want to add a 128 gb SSD to this little thing. Problem is, after reading many articles & vids, I still can't find out which PCB it is that have I seen pictured in different sites. I also will need the jumper cable to fit. Can anyone help me please.
Randy
addicted2tech

Re: retired gramps "TRYING" to build first PC.

Post by addicted2tech »

Wow, 17 years that's impressive. I usually write hardware off after 6 - 10 years.

I can't really help with your specific touchscreen without knowing more about it. The model name might help.

Regarding an SSD you can follow our guide here: https://www.addictedtotech.net/raspberr ... episode-3/

That article recommends an adapter for the SSD drive so you can connect it to the USB 3.0 port.

Welcome to the world of Raspberry Pi it is good fun and a great hobby.
rcline

Re: retired gramps "TRYING" to build first PC.

Post by rcline »

I don't need a screen, the pi that I bought came with the screen and hardware. It's the SSD and parts for me. Being retired and bored, I bought a little laser, then a bigger one and so on. Now I have four lasers and one wood router. The problem is that my old beast PC will only run one machine at a time.
For the cheap price these PIs are the only way to go for me. I am going to learn this PC stuff for the PIs and start building one at a time until each machine has it's own little PC. By then I might know how to build one with out crying for help. Right now I'm waiting on my little micro SD card w/adapter to come in. Well, for now I'm am off to episode - 3. Thank you for your time and info in this matter. I look forward to learning a lot here about the PIs.
R. Cline